Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 7, 2011

Beer: Anchor Steam Beer, Anchor Brewing Company

Today's brew for BBB is one that I'd heard in passing many times but never had a chance to try. Heck, I'd never even seen it. Now that I'm in Portland, I see this beer, and many others by Anchor, at pretty much every store.

Anchor is a famous San Francisco brewery that has virtually handmade their beer since 1896 in the traditional style. This excerpt from their website describes Anchor Steam Beer:

"Anchor Steam derives its unusual name from the 19th century when "steam" seems to have been a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. The brewing methods of those days are a mystery and, although there are many theories, no one can say with certainty why the word "steam" came to be associated with beer. For many decades Anchor alone has used this quaint name for its unique beer. In modern times, "Steam" has become a trademark of Anchor Brewing."

Anchor Steam is known as a California Common or Steam Beer, which is 100% American. If you ever have another beer that calls itself a "steam beer," then they're breaking the law. Anchor Brewing has a trademark on the term, so all other beers of the same style must go by the name of "California Common."

My particular bottle this evening poured bronze/copper with a thick head. I taste some light hops, a great sourdough breadiness and some citrus. It has a fantastic medium body that is balanced all-around. This American classic comes in a funky bottle with an old school label. There's a reason why people still imbibe with Anchor Steam. I can't think of a better session beer, or a go-to drink that's perfect for any occasion. I definitely recommend giving it a try if you find some, and I'm willing to bet it will make its way into your rotation.

Music:

Today's musical offering is something I'm willing to bet that none of you have heard. The group name is Tribe of Heaven, a short-lived duo of Mark Roebuck and Dave Matthews (yes, that Dave Matthews) in 1989. The album is practically impossible to pick up, but thanks to Youtube there are a few accessible songs. I've heard most of the album and really dig it. For those of you that know me well, this won't be a surprise to you since I love almost everything ever done by Dave. One of my favorites off this album is a cover of U2's "In God's Country," but I'll share a Tribe of Heaven original - "Imagine We Were." Enjoy.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment