Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 20, 2011

Beer: 60 Minute IPA, Dogfish Head Brewery

Some of you may remember a previous post of mine regarding Dogfish Head. Back in April I had my first experience with the craft brewery when I sampled 90 Minute IPA. See my review of that beer, along with some tasty NW music, here: http://beatsandbrew.blogspot.com/2011/04/april-9-2011.html


As I explained earlier, Dogfish Head is from Milton, Delaware and specializes in creating extreme beers with unique ingredients. Their IPA series, 60 Minute, 90 Minute and 120 Minute, is made up of some their most traditional beer options. The names refer to the length of time the hops are boiled. Obviously, the longer they are boiled the more hop flavor and bitterness is imparted to the batch.

I won't repeat my review of 90 Minute, but I will say that I was underwhelmed. I tried to keep an open mind with the 60 Minute, especially because one of my cousins raved about it. Time to give Dogfish Head another shot.

60 Minute poured a surprisingly clear, golden orange and a medium-sized head. A strong, dry-hopped smell was evident...almost grassy. The taste was exactly what I hoped it would be - clean, dry, continuous flavor. I see why Dogfish Head calls this their session beer. It definitely wasn't as intense as 90 Minute, or many other IPAs for that matter. Finally, Dogfish Head isn't trying too hard.

Music:

The other day I was in the mood for some funky soul music and I stumbled upon a James Brown song (in 2 parts) I'd never heard before. It has everything: tight, funky grooves, screams and attitude. It's like someone poured hot, melted butter all over a recording.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe a luau? Ya know their label doesn't scream personality and marketing. I dunno if I said this but I like that their name reflects their making.

    ReplyDelete